BARS Program Stage 2– Information for Aircraft Operators
By providing two registration streams – Comprehensive Audits and Core Audits – the BARS Stage 2 Program provides greater flexibility on fees and the level of audit available for Aircraft Operators.
Aircraft Operator benefits include:
- More flexibility in audit fees – BARS audits will no longer be based on a fixed-fee model. This will allow Aircraft Operators to negotiate fees with Auditors, based on the audit stream and level of complexity required. The BARS Program Office has also reduced its fee component, helping to further reduce audit costs.
- Opportunity for enhanced recognition – The Comprehensive Audit stream (for Silver and Gold Operators) provides an enhanced level of recognition and evaluation for Aircraft Operators.
- Ability to advance – Depending on your circumstances and business goals, you can move between the two streams or, for Green Operators, you can opt to remain in the Core Audit stream at a lower cost.
Gold Aircraft Operator key changes:
- To retain Gold, you must elect the Comprehensive Audit stream.
- The Comprehensive Audit stream will give you additional industry recognition for participating in a more rigorous audit process.
- Based directly on BARS Member Organization feedback, Gold Operators will be required to undergo annual audits to demonstrate continuing high safety standards are being implemented in a highly dynamic industry.
- Operators will cycle between a Comprehensive Renewal Audit in year one and a reduced-load Monitoring Audit in year two.
- The Comprehensive Audit will require you to demonstrate the effectiveness of implemented controls.
- The Monitoring Audit will involve a lower audit fee, risk-based bespoke checklist and a shorter audit process.
- All audits due after 1 January 2018 will come under the BARS Stage 2 Program. However, under transition arrangements, you will not have to enter the Comprehensive Audit stream, which requires annual audits, until your next audit is due. (For Aircraft Operators that achieved Gold in 2017, this will not be until 2019.)
Silver Aircraft Operator key changes:
- To advance to Gold, you must select the Comprehensive Audit stream.
- As a result, you will receive additional industry recognition for participating in the more rigorous Comprehensive Audit stream.
- To advance to Gold, you must elect the comprehensive stream and successfully complete a Comprehensive Audit.
- To retain Gold, you must undertake a Monitoring Audit the following year, while maintaining continuous BARS Registration and meeting all audit and close-out deadlines.
- All audits due after 1 January 2018 will come under BARS Stage 2 Program.
Green Aircraft Operator key changes:
- You can choose to remain in the Core Audit stream, which involves an Initial Audit, followed by a Core Renewal Audit every year.
- This audit stream will allow you to negotiate lower auditing fees and fewer requirements, allowing you to remain in the BARS Program long term.
- To advance to Silver, you must elect the Comprehensive stream and complete a Comprehensive Audit, while maintaining continuous BARS registration and meeting all audit and close-out deadlines.
All audits due after 1 January 2018 will come under BARS Stage 2 Program.