Helicopter External Load Operations for Ground Personnel (HELO)
Currently we are running HELO courses at an “on request” basis alongside an in-person MCAR.
Email us here to enquire about any of the courses that may be on near you.
Helicopter External Load Operations are conducted in many industries in most countries across the globe. At present, there is little standardization of procedures, equipment or training. Recognizing the need, the Flight Safety Foundation has developed a new course entitled ‘Helicopter External Load Operations for Ground Personnel’. The course provides necessary standardization and has been developed to provide basic training for any personnel engaged in activities involving helicopter under-slung loads.
Helicopter external loads carried vary considerably across the respective industries and include, for example, timber and steel used for construction, antennas and oversize equipment such as air-conditioning units and remote site drilling equipment.
This two-day course includes both classroom and practical tuition in the use of equipment. Extensive use of 3-D animations, graphics and video makes the course vibrant and easy to understand. The course provides a recommended standard in the use of hand signals and color identification of key personnel engaged on site.
The course can also be tailored for all industry sectors that utilize helicopters in similar support roles including fire fighting, humanitarian support and flood and famine relief.
The objectives of the course are to:
- Develop an understanding of how helicopter performance limitations affect operations;
- Develop and understanding of safe helicopter external load operations;
- Develop your ability to identify threats and hazards associated with helicopter external load operations safety practices;
- Understand the various types of load lifting equipment and aircraft characteristics;
- Develop an understanding of how to design and construct external load operating areas;
- Gain practice in rigging external loads; and
- Gain practice in hooking and unhooking external loads.
Who’s it for?
The course will provide guidance on standardization of equipment, personnel and procedures used in the Helicopter External Load role and be ideally suited for the following personnel:
- Site managers and supervisors
- Mining personnel
- Drillers and ground support personnel including hook-up personnel
- Aircrew, including Loadmasters; and
- Anyone involved in helicopter external load activities.