Work with Us
The Flight Safety Foundation is an international non-profit organization exclusively chartered to provide impartial, independent, expert safety guidance and resources for the aviation and aerospace industry. The Foundation identifies global safety issues, sets priorities and serves as a catalyst to address these concerns through data collection and information sharing, education, advocacy and communications. The Foundation bridges proprietary, cultural and political differences in the common cause of safety.
Founded in the 1947, the Foundation has over 1,000 member organizations and individuals from 150 countries. The Foundation is headquartered in Alexandria, Virginia, with regional offices in Brussels, Belgium and Melbourne, Australia.
We are seeking an individual to lead the Foundation’s global aviation safety strategy, with a focus on data-driven safety management and quality. The ideal candidate will have extensive airline or air traffic management experience, combined with a track record of experience in international aviation safety standards and operating practices. The successful candidate will have strong interpersonal skills, and comfortable with engaging with a broad international aviation stakeholder community.
- Develop and execute Foundation programs and initiatives to advance global safety
- Apply data-driven and audit and assessment methods towards illuminating aviation risks and develop a global safety desired improvements and potential mitigation strategies
- Gather information related to both past accident performance and real–time data analytics that present a risk picture based on a risk model
- Prepare proposals on program initiatives to advance international aviation safety performance
- Facilitating and support Foundation advisory committees for event planning and outcomes that will impact the Foundation influence on top safety issues
- Interact and engage with stakeholders in regions around the world; develop collaborative relationships and partnerships
- Represent the Foundation at major international forums and events
- Help construct the Foundation working agenda based on global performance results and the status of the world’s state safety plans
- Conduct webinars, training, round-table discussions and presentations at Foundation events
- Lead Foundation’s efforts to respond effectively to international aviation operational and regulatory issues, as well as respond to technical and operational questions and Foundation’s program inquiries
- Engage with international organizations (e.g. ICAO, IATA, CANSO, ACI, EASA) and regulatory authorities around the world to assist in the development of programs and initiatives to advance aviation safety
- Moderate travel required
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in aviation/aerospace; advanced education in aviation desirable
- A minimum of 10 years of aviation industry experience and well-established industry network and reputation
- Extensive aviation safety, evaluation, accident investigation or audit experience
- Advanced knowledge of aviation operations and regulations; operational experience desirable (e.g. commercial air transport pilot; air traffic operations)
- Ability to articulate subject matter related to FAR Parts 91, 125, 121, or 135 and related international standards (e.g. ICAO, EASA)
- Comprehensive knowledge of ICAO SARPs, civil aviation regulations, and industry standards and recommended practices (EASA, FAA, ICAO, IATA)
- Experience with international safety and quality assurance standards (e.g. IOSA, ISSA, IS-BAO,
- Experience and familiarities with safety management programs (e.g. ASAP, FDM, ASIAS, FDX, SMS ICG)
- Experience with government and industry collaborative aviation safety improvement initiatives (e.g. Various ICAO RASGs, U.S. CAST, EASA Data4Safety)
- Demonstrated strong verbal and written communication skills
- Individuals should demonstrate strong leadership skills and a proven history of successfully engaging with the broader aviation community.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work in a team as well as independently
Please email resume and cover letter to email@example.com.