BARS Program Stage 2 - Information for Audit Companies and Accredited Auditors
By providing two streams – Comprehensive Audits and Core Audits – the BARS Program Stage 2 will allow Auditors to deliver more flexible pricing structures and audit options for Aircraft Operators. It will also provide improved evaluation of Operators’ implementation of safety measures, something that BARS Member Organizations have called for.
Audit Company benefits include:
- Reduced overall audit costs – The BARS Program Office is lowering its audit fee component, cutting overall input costs.
- More flexibility in audit fee arrangements – Audit Company and Operators will be able to negotiate costs, based on the level and complexity of audit required.
- Audit quality standards will be maintained – A minimum chargeable audit fee has been set to prevent a race to the bottom in a competitive marketplace.
- Greater evidence-based assessment criteria – Aircraft Operators undergoing a Comprehensive Audit will be required to demonstrate how safety procedures and systems are being applied, helping to overcome poor preparation and limited provision of valid evidence. Audit question checklists will be split over the two-year auditing cycle, with demonstration questions in Comprehensive Audits.
- More regular auditing – Annual, rather than the current biennial (every two years), audits for Gold Operators – in line with industry feedback. Renewal Audits for Gold Operators will involve a reduced-load Monitoring Audit every other year.
- Fewer deadline extensions – Audit deadline extensions (FDD, CRE) will be limited to a maximum of two every three years to avoid over-reliance on extensions.
Key Audit Companies and Auditor actions:
- Complete BARS Stage 2 Auditor Training prior to delivering audits under the updated Program. This is being provided as online training sessions.
- Inform Aircraft Operators about planned changes relating to the introduction of two audit streams as of 1 January 2018.
- Ensure the Operators choose the correct stream, based on their needs and the requirements of BARS Member Organizations they work for.
This table compares original BARS Audits with the BARS Stage 2 Audit streams.